Cheaper car insurance costs can often be the last thing on your mind when it’s second nature to just pay your insurance premium every month or six months. If you’re one of those people who figured you’d just need to see your insurance agent once and then forget about what you’re being charged, you might want to rethink your strategy.
It’s really easy to just pay for insurance and forget about it but you might be missing out on a rather large annual savings if you paid just a little bit more attention to your yearly premium.
Here’s ten tips for how you can lower your insurance premiums by $450 or more per year.
- Before Buying Roadside Assistance with Your Provider Look for a Third Party: While it may seem nice to bundle the entire package into one you might find yourself paying more for insurance if you have to use your roadside assistance. Look at a provider like AAA. Not only is it cheap but it can save you a lot of money in the long run.
- Consider Other Discounts That You Might be Able to Receive: If you’re 50 or 55, retired, had no accidents or moving violations in the last three years; or a longtime insurance customer you’re probably a prime candidate for a lower insurance premium.
- Insuring all of Your Policies Under one Insurer can Lower Your Premiums: Most large brands offer insurance for everything you’ll need including, home, life, car, boat, and more. When you use your insurance provider for all of these you will receive an overall reduced premium.
- Insure Your Teens on The Parents Policy Instead of Their Own: Teens who get insured on their parents policy, get good grades (usually 3.0), and pass a drivers ED course can receive significant discounts for auto insurance as well. Even if a student is going off to college there’s even more insurance discounts. If your son or daughter chooses to not bring a car to college they can get an even higher discount on their insurance premium.
- Having the Proper Safety Gear in Your Vehicle Will Land You a Discount: Proper seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, and an approved alarm system will help. Also think about how you plan to use your car. Is it mainly for work, family, or just for play? Depending upon your cars use it might qualify for a reduced premium.
- Don’t Buy More Medical Coverage Then You Need: If you’re already covered with good medical insurance then you don’t need to pay higher premiums for personal injury protection then is required by your state. Check your state minimums and call your insurance agent to learn more.
- Using Collision or Comprehensive is Not Always Necessary: If you’re insuring an older car or a car that’s just not worth much you may not need full collision or comprehensive on your vehicle. Check the blue book value of the car against the insurance value and deductible of your plan. You’ll probably find that it’s just not worth it to have the coverage on a car that’s worth practically the same amount as your deductible.
- Carpool to Work or Drive Less: Low mileage discounts are available with most big brand companies. Check your insurance premiums low mileage discount plan and see if it’s worth it to use public transportation or carpool instead of paying those higher premiums each year.
- A Low Profile Car Can Save You More then Upfront Money: Not only will you pay less for a low profile car but you’ll end up saving a bundle on your yearly insurance plan. Repair issues, theft, or bad safety records all account for a more expensive car insurance plan.
- Higher Deductibles Significantly Reduce Yearly Costs: Increase the amount you’re willing to pay out if you do get in an accident. Start an emergency fund for your car and put aside enough for a deductible expense. If you don’t use it you’re saving money, if you do have to use it you’re still saving money on your insurance premium.
Rate Digest Provides a cheap car insurance comparison tool to help consumers make sure they are getting the best deal for their car insurance costs. Their comparison tool is free to use and easy to navigate. Consumers can navigate through top brand agencies who can provide them cheaper car insurance rates from their local area.